click to register

PDA

View Full Version : Looking To adopt Puppies (Small Breed)

alyssakoh
08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Please contact me at alyssa_koh@hotmail.com

neolihia
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Do you have any breed in mind? Or just any will do. What size do you consider small?

Thomas
01-05-2010, 04:56 AM
neolihia: Why are you giving up your puppy? PM me if there's a need.

neolihia
01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I've change my mind about giving him up. Breaks my heart to do so. Initially wanted to do that because my mum is not adapting well to him. So I can't leave him alone with my mum when I am out.

Thomas
01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes, that sounds good to me.

neolihia
01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Saw on the other post. Looks like you are gonna adopt a dog.
Maybe I'll share abit of my experience. I've been toying with the idea of having a dog as a pet for at least 4 to 5 years. Everytime I will read up about it then give up on the idea as it requires a certain level of commitment.
Last year, my dad pass away. And co-incidently, I am without a job. So I thought it will be nice to finally have a dog, since I'll have time for him and the dog can eventually be my mum companion while I am out at work.
Again, lots of reading up and info gathering. Finally I decided on a Shih Tzu and a male. So I start looking around for puppies to buy from home breeder (as I've read that some of the famous pet farms might not be too reliable and I've been there to look at the living condition of the dogs on sale...it's really very sad)
Anyway, got my precious from a home breeder and brought him home when he was 2.5 months old. From that day onwards. Hell break loose. He is a highly intelligent puppy. Which also means he know when to "test water" and push limits. On the 3rd day, he starts roaming into every rooms. I was mentally prepared for the pee and poo situation and prepared for the effort on cleaning up after him and preparing food etc.
BUT I was not prepared for his "stickyness". He follows me wherever I go. Even to the toilet. When I leave the house, he will be whining as if he is being slaughtered.
I no longer have my own space and freedom. Worst thing is that my mother does not warm up to him. So whenever I need to run errands or leave the house, I have to seek my uncle/aunty's help.

I guess the books and online forum can tell you alot about what you need to know before owning a dog. My unique experience and what was never mention by anyone was that I feel that owning a dog needs a support system. There should be more than 1 person in the household that is a dog lover. Else, the sole person will be very drained. And sooner or later, you might feel that you want to give up (which is what happened to me).

Thomas
01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the write up.

The young pup is asking for attention and you will have to train the pup to stop doing that.

Ignore the pup when it does whines. It helps you in the long run.

You may also want to read on Bark control too, easily found on the internet.