click to register
Singapore (SG) Pets Forums

Singapore (SG) Pets Forums (https://sgpetslover.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cat Forum (https://sgpetslover.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Cat food (https://sgpetslover.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680)

Mudd Salt 08-02-2010 09:27 PM

Cat food

Hi everyone...I'm new here...hope to get more info about cat... :)

My 1 year old munchkin has a 'small' appetite...she can never finish her meal even I gave her half a bowl,I worry if she didn't get enough nutrients...

I used to give her whiskas...now she dont wanna eat it,if I fed her, she only takes a few bites then walks away..
Today I gave her to try Fancy Feast, she likes it but still didnt finish it,not even half....I really worry, any suggestion to help my baby's appetite....

I know shes not sick, coz she plays and jumps around as usual.....

tkdg3r 08-02-2010 10:25 PM

Do note that Whiskas and Fancy Feast aren't very nutritional. They contain too much sodium to be healthy. Pet food found in supermarkets are usually not recommended.

You could try grain-free dry food or better canned foods like orijen or wellness or you could even try feeding home-cooked foods like chicken breast.

Mudd Salt 08-03-2010 02:13 PM

Orijen and wellness, is it e brand name?..Mayb I shld buy it, since I'm working,cant afford to cook for her....

I just found out theres cat food name Science something,cant remember...I saw it at pet shop, is it good?

I read an article, stated that a cat need to eat meat for their muscle development, hope can get it in can....

tkdg3r 08-03-2010 04:59 PM

Science Diet?
Er, rather than I tell you which is good or bad, lemme give you a rough guide on how to read cat food ingredients and determine which foods are of better quality than others. Sorry I can't give any public negative reviews. Later I kena sue for defamation. Haha :bolt:

The best way for a consumer to judge if a food is of good/better quality or not is by looking at the ingredients list. I know there's a whole chunk of crazy words there like vitamin b, k, r, iron, copper, sulfate, see already you get confused and turned off. So I'm gonna teach you the short-cut way. Ignore all those useless stuff and look at the first few lines on the list. (Or what I prefer to go as, the lines that I can actually understand. Once I see things like calcium phosphate I know it's time to stop there.)

I'll use an example taken from an unnamed brand. This is the whole block of words you usually see on the ingredients list. This is for canned food.

Quote:

Water, Chicken, Turkey Giblets, Meat By-Products, Liver, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Titanium Dioxide, Guar Gum, Soybean Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Locust Bean Gum, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Carrageenan, Calcium Sulfate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
Let's zoom in on the first few lines:

Quote:

Water, Chicken, Turkey Giblets, Meat By-Products, Liver, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Starch, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor
Now, ingredients are listed in order of their weight. Means the first ingredient is the heaviest item in the food mixture, followed by the second heaviest item.

So in this case, Water, Chicken, Turkey Giblets, Meat By-Products, Liver, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Starch, Wheat Flour is what your cat will be mainly eating. The rest of the ingredients are usually of very small amounts, so to me they are quite negligible.

A good quality cat food should not contain any corn, wheat, soy or grains. What you have read is right. Cats are carnivores so they need meat not veg. And anyway, cats can't digest corn, wheat, soy or grains.

This particular brand I'm using as an example is not of very good quality. Firstly, even though water is heavy and this is obviously a wet food, there should be a lot more meat than water. Water is only needed to make it slightly wet and not all soupy if you understand what I mean. Otherwise you are mainly paying for water which is silly in my opinion.

Giblets are a turkey's organs like the heart, kidneys. By-products refers to the remains of the animal after all the edible portions have been removed for human consumption so what's left is stuff like bones, feathers, feet, ears, heads, etc

As you go down you see corn starch and wheat flour. As mentioned, cats can't digest corn and stuff so this is useless ingredients used to bulk up the food. It doesn't really have any nutritional value to the cat.

So to break it down further, what you should be looking out for when choosing food for your cat is:

1. As much meat as possible (not including weird animal parts and by-products), and
2. Zero corn, wheat, soy, grains.

Orijen and wellness are among the top premium brands but there are other more affordable and still good quality brands around that satisfy these 2 criterias like addiction, natural balance, nutripe. It's up to you to choose and try them out to see which ones are to your cat's taste just be careful of those that are overly cheap. The ingredients in most of them are incredible to the point that you are virtually paying for nothing more than water and junk and your probably better off feeding table scraps.

I hope this helps answer your questions :)
Cheers~

Mudd Salt 08-03-2010 11:31 PM

wow...thats a fruitful of info...thanks...
I really didnt know all that till u say it.....
I will look out for that 'unnecessary ingredients' and keep it away...

Thanks so much :)

nomi 08-27-2010 03:37 PM

You should buy a cat food without by-products and grains. Iams, Purina, Friskies, Meow Mix, etc. are not healthy.

brova 10-11-2010 08:08 PM

Cat food is food intended for consumption by cats. As with all species, cats have requirements for specific dietary nutrients, rather than ingredients.[1] Certain nutrients, including many vitamins and amino acids, are degraded by the temperatures, pressures and chemical treatments used during manufacture, and hence must be added after manufacture to avoid nutritional deficiency.[2][3] The amino acid taurine, for example, which is found within meat, is degraded during processing, so synthetic taurine is normally added afterwards. Long-term taurine deficiency resulting, for example, from feeding taurine-deficient dog food, may result in retinal degeneration, loss of vision, and cardiac damage.,..copied chicago condos

jessepalermo1 10-16-2010 06:21 PM

Cats' nutritional needs are very specific and the nutritional quality of cat food is one of the most important factors in cats' health and longevity. It is important also to note that a nutritious cat food diet can eliminate or delay veterinary expense for a number of serious medical conditions.

petsycutesy 06-22-2011 02:02 AM

you might want first to seek help from a veterinarian in the condition of your cat. its better to check him/her up sooner so that you will know what is wrong eith your pet. I found this new website with Pet Deals up to 90% off retail! They are launching soon and have a cutest pet contest!. Daily Deals For Pets. SAVE up to 90% ! Printable Coupons for Pet, dog, cat, fish, bird, horse, hamster, ferret, turtle, snake, reptile, deal, coupon, products, food, supplies, services, toys ::

queenkaylef 12-01-2013 10:20 AM

dry kibbles are the way to go.